Stay in the Official SPSP Housing Block
As you can imagine, hosting an Annual Convention for 4,000 attendees in any city comes with its challenges both logistically and financially. In order for a host city to even consider giving us the space we need in a large hotel or convention center, we must agree to provide them with a proportionate amount of hotel room night revenue. Basically, in order to reserve enough space for the convention, we have to commit to use thousands of hotel room nights at contracted hotels. If we fail to use those rooms, SPSP is fined. Those fines can reach upwards of $30k each year.
When you stay in the official hotel block you are staying at a hotel property that has been personally inspected and vetted by SPSP staff for appropriate and adequate levels of quality of accommodations, level of service, and safety and security. Additionally, for each night our guests stay in official contracted SPSP Hotels, the hotels agree to pay SPSP a small rebate. These rebates add up to thousands of dollars and are used to pay for Convention Center or meeting space rental fees. Removing this rebate means an increased price to hold the convention, which translates into steep registration price increases for attendees.
If convention attendees book outside the Official SPSP Hotel Block, they are hindering our ability to meet the minimums required by our contracts, putting us in jeopardy of strict fines and also depriving SPSP of the hotel rebates needed to offset convention expenses to keep registration costs low.
While we can understand the immediate attractiveness of an online deal for accommodations outside of the block, SPSP would like attendees to understand the long term repercussions to the future of the Annual Convention caused by choosing to not to stay within the block. Failing to meet room block commitments will mean increased registration prices for attendees in the future, and could mean cities will be unwilling to work with us to host our convention in years to come.
2018 Housing Fee Policies
A $50 housing fee will be applied to your registration fee if you purchase housing accommodations outside of the official SPSP housing block. Exceptions will be made for anyone living locally and commuting to the convention, anyone staying with friends/family who live locally, and anyone who registers for the convention after the official housing block has filled.
Top 5 Reasons to Stay in the Official Hotel Block
1. Support SPSP and ensure the future of the Annual Convention by keeping registration rates low and allowing host cities to realize the benefits of doing business with SPSP.
2. All properties have been inspected and vetted to ensure a fantastic experience for guests. SPSP has close working relationships with each property and can immediately and effectively assist you with any challenge you encounter, should any arise.
3. Increased networking opportunities exist in official hotels due to number of attendees staying and being within walking distance to convention facilities.
4. Save money on transportation to/from convention facilities, free wifi, included meals/happy hours (at some properties).
5. Reserving rooms is easy, secure, guaranteed, and seamless through SPSP’s convention website.